The SEO guide for beginners 2021
Oh SEO Oh SEO, why is it your name SEO??!!
This big guy!! If you don’t get it, I may suggest you call an expert!
It is a fundamental aspect of digital marketing. After Inbound Marketing, everything has to be done by its rules.
I wish someone taught me about SEO 2 years ago, in a way that I understand it now.
It is so broad and sophisticated that it is like getting in a giant maze online.
I don’t consider myself an SEO expert. Still, I can say that I’m pretty good, and I continually update myself about this argument because Search Engines are constantly evolving. It is best to catch up with them before losing organic traffic and brand authority.
So, here I am, writing the first episode of my SEO guide for beginners 2021.
Let’s diving in.
What is SEO?
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of optimizing your online content to allow a search engine prefer to show it as the top search result for a particular keyword.
There are a variety of Search Engine, such as Google, Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuck Go, Baidu and Ecosia. But,as you can see from the image below, the most popular remains Google.
How does a Search Engine work?
Search engines have one goal. They aim to provide users with the most relevant and pertinent answers or information to their search term. Each time a user performs a search, their algorithms choose the pages most relevant to the query. And then, it ranks them, showing the most authoritative or popular ones first.
Mainly, the Google bot follows three phases: Crawling, Indexing, Ranking.
Which are the factors that influence SEO?
To provide the right information to users, search engines analyze two factors:
- Relevance between the search query and the content of a page. Search engines rate is based on various factors such as topic or keywords.
- Authority, measured by the popularity of a website on the Internet. Google assumes that the more popular a page or resource is, the more valuable its content is to readers.
And to analyze all this information, Search Engines use complex equations called search algorithms.
The SEO consists of 3 areas of application: On-Page/ Off-Page and Technical SEO.
On-Page SEO refers to practices that aim to optimize all web pages, content, and HTML sources to get the best position on the SERP. The most vital factors to analyze, optimize and update are:
- Content quality: write, share and publish informative and relevant content for your customer persona. Carry out market research before writing something that may not be interesting for your target. You can use free tools such as Google Scholar, Google Trends and gather some user-generated content from forum like Quora and Reddit;
- Use of Multimedia: include some images, GIFs, video and infographics in your web content. They boost the engagement of your visitors;
- Content Lenght: there isn’t a rule about it. But if your article is long enough and it includes a lot of keywords…so be it!
- Interface Experience: a website that users make click 10 times before getting what they want, it penalizes the user experience;
- Content Update: try to update your content, blog and product constantly. If a user lands on your blog and sees that your last post dates back to 6 months ago, it is not a good sign.
- Internal and external link: connecting your web pages with internal links helps to keep the visitor on your website longer. External Links that click to other websites or platforms helps to get backlinks.
- Keywords Intent: research, plan and use keywords considering the user intent.
Off-Page SEO refers to all the operations that not happen directly on your website. I’m talking about all techniques and methods used to establish brand authority, trust and popularity.
Search engines use links to determine how valuable a piece of content or a particular site is. Getting quality links has always been a great tactic if you’re serious about ranking.
Technical SEO allows search engines like Google to know that you have a high-value website. This is the most challenging part; if you don’t have any technical competencies or attention to details, let a professional do it.
Measuring SEO success means tracking traffic, engagement and link data. However, most companies develop their own sets of SEO KPIs (key performance indicators), here are the most common ones:
Today, I gave you a general view about SEO, its function and which aspects include. In the following articles, I will show you how to get on with methods related to each area. So, stay connected, continue to follow me, and feel free to comment below if you have some questions.