This post may contain affiliate links. See my Disclaimer Page.
A dilemma that afflicts many beginners is that of the choice of hosting and CMS. Why WordPress and SiteGround is the winning couple.
WordPress Doesn’t Have To Be Hard. Read These Tips
According to Smartcat, WordPress is the most CMS used by the 60% of entrepreneurs and companies.
But many beginners that approach to this digital world for the first time, have the same dilemma:
What is the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org?
The key difference is who’s actually hosting your website.
With WordPress.org, you host your own site (we recommend this). With WordPress.com, on the other hand, it’s WordPress.com that takes care of all of this for you It seems easier to start but actually, you have less freedom to act. And that’s the biggest difference.
WordPress.com does allow you to set up a website entirely for free, but there are some downsides to this:
- You can only place your site under a subdomain
- It isn’t possible to remove WordPress.com’s own ads and branding
- You have limited disk space of 3GB
- You can’t monetize your blog or website
- It is possible to use only plugins and themes by default.
With WordPress.org, on the other hand, you can launch a completely functional website with more freedom of customization. But your first step should pick a web host. Then you can select the theme most suitable for your company, install plugins, and do just about anything you want with your site. You can also monetize your website however you want, which is great if you’re planning to make it a business.
Hosting on a budget: why choose SiteGround
SiteGround is one of the most popular providers of Shared and Cloud Hosting.
In my research phase for the best web hosting service, I focused a lot on the quality of customer service. Not being a programmer but capable and loving of building a site, I have read many reviews. Many spoke of outstanding support, and so it was. Whenever I’ve had any problems, the customer service guys have been quick and efficient. They offer their help 24/7 on three channels: chat, phone and tickets, in 3 languages.
Another factor I looked into was the location of their servers. Why is this important info? Because the placement of the server helps in the speed of the loading of the pages of your site. Living in Ireland, I have two servers nearby, in Holland and London. Better than this?!
The speed of the site also depends on a tool specially developed by SiteGround: SuperCacher. An in-house web-caching service, that in collaboration with Cloudflare CDN and other technologies, boost the site load speed.
Not being much of a Wix fun, I turned my attention to WordPress. Also in this case, SiteGround could offer me a convenient web-hosting plan with many exciting features, because it is an official partner of WordPress.org. If you have a site on WordPress.com and want to move it, you can take advantage of the free WordPress Migrator option, and in 5 minutes, you will have your site on a new and more accessible platform.
An indispensable element for all online sites is undoubtedly the security. To make its millions of customers happy and safe, SiteGround has built an in-house Al Anti-bot system that blocks millions of daily attacks. Furthermore, there are solutions developed on three levels: application, server, and network.
If you work as a freelancer or in a Marketing Agency, or you are a developer, this web host gives you the chance to add collaborators to their sites to help you manage all job on it. This option is available only on GoGeek and higher plans.
- The StartUp plan is perfect for people with one website that are starting now.
- The GrowBig plan is a great value for money offer, including the option for multiple websites and the SuperCacher that greatly improves website speed.
- The GoGeek plan is perfect for people with e-commerce and larger sites, or more geeky development needs like more server resources and GIT integration.
- You can transfer your domain from another provider or buy a new one directly from the control panel.
- All the plans offered on their website have email service included. You can create an unlimited number of accounts with your domain.
- Siteground offers its users unlimited MySQL database creation. You will be able to better organize your projects by creating different databases.
- Depending on your plan choice, you can register multiple sites with different domains.
- All plans have a free SSL certificate and it is preinstalled on your site. All SSL certificates are automatically renewed with Let’s Encrypt, a company they are allied with to offer security to all of you.
Don’t think about your budget while choosing web hosting, but consider it a critical factor in your site’s ranking.
Speed, security and performance make your site reliable and authoritative.
If you need further information or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.